Server tasks somewhat done

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 20 09:27:23 PDT 2003

Hi Gerard Beekmans. You said the following on 08/20/03 18:09:
> The links to /stable/ are created in lfs and blfs museums.

Great!

> Are you sure you didn't mean to call them "latest"? There are no unstable
> versions in the museum, so the term is somewhat inaccurate, as it suggests
> there is also an /unstable/ link.

I like to think of it in terms of: old - stable - bleeding edge as
opposed to stable/unstable. I think that "latest" is generally
understood as "cvs" while "stable" is generally understood as "the
latest release". Compare to the Linux kernel (latest=2.6.0-test3,
stable=2.4.21).

> About the mapping thing you outlined; is this still necessary? Can't you
> just copy the files from /home/httpd/test.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs into
> /home/httpd/beyond.linuxfromscratch.org?

Actually no; since the subdirectories are populated with relative links
(for example: <a href="../website.html">) which can not be remedied by
creating symlinks.

Maybe this would work:
let /home/httpd/beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/ be a symlink to
/home/httpd/test.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ (and replace test with www
once released)
I'm not familiar with Apache but I read that this requires an option to
be configured for it to work.

> Regarding rsync mirroring: you can add --exclude options to the rsync
> command line so mirrors can choose to mirror something or not. If we can to
> force parts not to be mirrored no matter what, those excludes can be
> hard-coded into the /etc/rsyncd.conf file.
>
> So when the site is moved over and replaced the current old sites let me
> know the directories that should not be mirror'ed and I'll have them
> excluded.

At least test.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/artwork and
test.linuxfromscratch.org/cgi-bin, allthough this still leaves roughly
12Mb. Cutting out the prerendered books would save another 8MB, bringing
the total to less then 5Mb.

> Then make sure you use full URLs to access those non-mirrorable parts. An
> internal link would fail when accessed on a mirror site (ie: the same way
> it's done with the archives, bugzilla and such on the current site).
 >
> Lastly I don't mind having the books mirrored, it'll save tons of bandwidth
> in the long run.

I don't mind either, but I don't know how much space is available on the
mirrors. If less then 10Mb we should cut out the books. I'll adjust the
links accordingly when that is the case.

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)