Naming consistency.

Scot Mc Pherson scot at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 10 22:17:01 PDT 2003

On Saturday 09 August 2003 03:09 pm, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi Richard A Downing FBCS. You said the following on 08/09/03 08:50:
> > On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 07:19:18 +0100
> >
> > Richard A Downing FBCS <geek109 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >>This page:

> >>suggests that the Hints list is called Hints, whereas I get it by
> >>
>  > NNTP as lfs-hints.  I prefer the website's convention (Hints).
>
> Perhaps Scot can take care of this?
>
> > http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/mail.html
> >
> > doesn't mention hints at all.
>
> (actually, I added it yesterday:
> http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#changelog)

Well this is something that has actually been discussed on the lists, but
nothing really came of it.  If we DO choose to change the names of the lists
/ newsgorups, than both Gerard and I have to co-ordinate the effort, Gerard
has become a fair expert of mailman, and I am the local INN expert  (yeah
right :P ). At any rate we can add or remove things at will and fix the
"other end" at leasure, but a name change is something different, if its no
co-ordinated then we loose connection between the servers for a period of
time that equates to when someone recognizes the problem and the other end of
the pipe is in readiness to make the fix.

Therefore, Gerard and I need to talk about what we want th final names to be.
As I said there has been some discussion and both camps of the naming
conventions both have valid points.  One camp is for short and simple (i.e.
hints vs. lfs-hints ) and the other camp is long name conventions so that
people can easily sort their news groups locally (i.e.  lfs.blfs.dev,
lfs.hints, lfs.blfs).  Personally I like the short and sweet, but I also
don't subscribe to multiple news servers so there isn't a whole lot for me to
sort locally.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
Linux From Scratch