cvs2cl.pl - XML output

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Sun Aug 10 17:23:09 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > - What date format do you want? Is it supposed to have timestamps?
>
> Preferably we should list changes by day instead of time. Something
> like this:
>
> Sunday 10 August 2003 - Jeroen Coumans:
> - first change
> - second change
> - third change
>
> The changes may be committed at different times.

OK, I forgot to implement this. I will see what can be done with XSL.
What about the date format? We can use the following:

* yyyy-mm-dd : ISO standard date format. I recommend it, because it
avoids confusion about EUA/The rest of the world date formats, and
facilitates the sorting of the messages.

* a verbose date format: an example is "Sunday 10 August 2003". This
format is good for understanding, but has a couple of problems:
- It's terrible to sort, because the weekday's initials are used instead
of the actual date.
- It's hard to implement. Look at the cvs2cl XML output. The only thing
already there is the weekday. To transform "2003-08-05" to something
like "05 August 2003", I have to parse the date, extract the month and
do a conditional test to get the correct month name. (All this is
perfectly possible with XSL, but will increase the complexity of the
code, which, IMO, is unecessary). A better solution to this, if you are
interested in using this format, is to parse the output of xsltproc
through sed and make the substitutions.

> Did you mail the patch to the cvs2cl.pl developers? (bug-cvs2cl at
> red-bean dot com)

Not yet, but I will do.