cvs commit: www/test generalnews.txt search.html website-bottom.html

Simon Comeau Martel martelsc at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 7 20:19:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:48:22 -0400
"Seth W. Klein" <sk at sethwklein.net> wrote:

> > > sed -i 's/\([.,;]\) /\1\n/g'
> >
> > IMO inserting \n after each coma is not a really good idea...
>
> It would have been interesting if your opinion had come with reasons.

Sorry for the brevity of my reply; I should have include the snippet of the text to wrap that made me though so.

There it is:

It would become something like: (Grr; my MUA wrap automatically, so the result is not 'exact')

<li>As you can see,
there are lots of additional goodies hidden on the
website.
The best thing to do is to start surfing!
Please send all comments,
positive and negative,
to <a href="mailto:website at linuxfromscratch.org">the website mailing list</a>.
Also use that list if you find any bugs in this site,
whether it's a browser not displaying pages properly or an orphaned link.
Please include some information about your browser and the resolution you're using.
</li>

IMO, we don't want lines with only four words.

> However... that code most definitely does not insert a newline after
> each comma--it only does commas that have a space after them.

True, but AFAIK, there is always a space after a coma. (I got your point that the space is not left at the beginning of the new line)

I think what we want is something that act like the wrapper of our MUA, and AFAICS they don't care about the notions of "phrase" or "punctuation".

--
Simon Comeau Martel
martelsc at videotron.ca