cvs2cl.pl - XML output

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 5 15:01:41 PDT 2003

Hi,
I'm working on a new design for the Linux From Scratch project. We
produce two books which are controlled via CVS and Bugzilla. In order to
keep our readers and users informed of the often long development
process, I'm trying to create a gateway between CVS and the website. In
order to do this, I'm currently using a hacked cvs2cl.pl
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/cvs2xhtml.pl), which outputs
HTML tags instead of XML. Great script, thanks!
This works OK, as can be seen on
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#changelog,
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html#changelog and
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/news.html#changelog

I have two questions though:
However, I'd like to get daily CVS commit output sorted by person.
Currently, when a person commits multiple changes in a day, they appear
one by one, like this:

* 2003-07-30 21:11 - Jeroen Coumans
Evil update to all files - disable IE smarttags and the stupid image toolbar

* 2003-07-30 18:50 - Jeroen Coumans
Add the LFS RSS file. Until Rob whips up a perl script, this will have
to be maintained manually from the lfs/news page.

* 2003-07-30 18:29 - Jeroen Coumans
Fix some validation issues and HTML abuse in the FAQ.

* 2003-07-30 18:05 - Jeroen Coumans
Updated the FAQ links to the mail archives.

Instead, I'd like them all grouped together like this:

* 2003-07-30 21:11 - Jeroen Coumans
- Evil update to all files - disable IE smarttags and the stupid image
toolbar
- Add the LFS RSS file. Until Rob whips up a perl script, this will have
to be maintained manually from the lfs/news page.
- Fix some validation issues and HTML abuse in the FAQ.
- Updated the FAQ links to the mail archives.

Is this possible with cvs2cl.pl?

Secondly, I should probably use XSLT stylesheets to transform the XML
into XHTML. However, I'm a complete newbe regarding XML and XSLT, can
anybody help me with this? I need to extract the following information
in this format:

<li>
<h4>Date - Author</h4>
</li>

(more verbally explained at
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/website.html#todo)
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me,

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)