Some website problems

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 4 07:35:02 PDT 2003

Anderson Lizardo said the following on 08/03/03 17:11:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>Sorry about that ;) (you're welcome to help me with the javascript
>>dropdown - I'm thinking about using
>>http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml)
>

> Do you have a specific style of slide-out in mind? (I see many styles on
> "samples" section)

Nah, just something that blends with the rest of the site. I like the
sliding allthough it seems slow here when there's a lot of background
text. I also don't like the fixed width of the dropdown, but that's not
a big issue.

> By the way, I'm using w3m as text-mode browser and the site works
> perfectly with it. I'll do some testing to see how these slide-out
> menus work with w3m (Of course I'm not expecting the animation effects)

youngpup has them defined as simple <ul> lists with javascript. Glad to
know it works okay; I've mostly tested in Links and Lynx.

>>Bytheway, there's a regression in Konqueror. Due to the way the
>>#pagenav is laid out on each news page *), it seems I trigger a bug
>>(again). As a result, the list items are shown as a list instead of
>>on the same line. It's not devastating, but I'm not yet sure of a
>>work-around, since any workaround I come up with breaks other
>>browsers.
>

> Did you mean http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html#pagenav ? In
> my Konqueror (3.1.1), it shows inline.

It seems it rearranges them when reloading the page, and they're not
rendered consistently inline or list-based.

FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq (faq at linuxfromscratch.org)