Some website problems

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 2 23:56:06 PDT 2003

Anderson Lizardo said the following on 08/02/03 22:35:
> Your fault! ;-). XHTML is case-sensitive. Modify onChange to onchange.

Ah!

>>I think I'm better off writing a javascript dropdown menu instead of
>>a form; this wouldn't require any server-side processing and would
>>work better in links/lynx too (this is important, considering the
>>audience for LFS).
>

> After all my hard researching! (just kidding!) ;-)

Sorry about that ;) (you're welcome to help me with the javascript
dropdown - I'm thinking about using
http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml)

> If this is a better implementation, I agree. But I'm interested in see
> if my fix works now. I've attached modified test.html and xhtml11.dtd
> files. Put them on-line to see if test.html validate now.

Seems you were right, it validates:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linuxfromscratch.org%2F~jeroen%2Ftest%2Ftestindex.html

(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/test/testindex.html)

> PS.: I will send a patch to w3c-validator maintainers to workaround the
> bug above and to not show that (incorrect) error again.

Very good.

> PS2: A hint: to validate documents off-line, use this command:
>
> onsgmls -c /usr/share/sgml/OpenSP-1.5/xml.soc test.html >/dev/null
>
> But you still have to be connected to do this, because onsgmls will
> fetch the DTDs on-the-fly.

Thanks.
Bytheway, there's a regression in Konqueror. Due to the way the #pagenav
is laid out on each news page *), it seems I trigger a bug (again). As a
result, the list items are shown as a list instead of on the same line.
It's not devastating, but I'm not yet sure of a work-around, since any
workaround I come up with breaks other browsers.

CSS (lines 255-271:
#sectionnav li, #footer li, #pagenav li {
	list-style-type: none;
	display: inline;
}

#pagenav ul {
	padding: 0 0 .2em 1em;
	margin: 0 0 .5em 0;
	text-align: right;
	border-top: 2px solid #cdcdcd;
}

#pagenav li a {
	margin: 0 0 0 .5em;
	font:	0.9em/3 "Bitstream Vera Sans", "Lucida Sans", "Luxi Sans", arial,
verdana, sans-serif;
}

--
Jeroen Coumans,