LiveCD Future

Thomas Trepl thomas at equinox.homelinux.org
Sat Oct 18 03:13:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

to me, the CD was and still is a very essential part in (B)LFS. since I do
most of (B)LFS in virtual machines (using VirtualBox on LFS) the only way to
boot is to use a boot CD. The current boot CD is uptodate enough to build the
current SVN book and than, BLFS is the rest.

So, the primary usage (for me) of the CD is to have a rock solid and small
system from which the LFS bootstrap can be started. Having the sources
included on the CD makes live easier, but surely it becomes quite quickly
outdated.

As a result for me the LiveCD is perfect even without X but I love the
net-setup thing. What I would be interested in is How-To-Make-a-CD. What is
that initrd stuff and for what is that good for, which options are there to
come around the read-only-issue of a CD and so on. Those topics would be
great to cover somehow - bringing the people's (at least mine;-) knowledge to
the point being able to assemble things together and burn it to a CD which
than contains all the individual stuff in a individual arragement - just like
the personal taste.

Let add just one more sentence: Thanks to Alex and all the folks who have
spent so much efforts to the CD. Now that it is a few days old it is still a
very essential part of the LFS project at all.

--
Thomas