Custom LiveCD Kernel

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 11 03:42:20 PDT 2008

Ben wrote:
> Hello LiveCD Folk,
> 	I followed the great directions found in the LFS and BLFS books, and
> have successfully created a Linux System to my liking. I also followed
> the directions in the hint about customizing the LiveCD (this version:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/lfscd-remastering-howto-6.2.txt). That worked great as well. So I took that a bit further and ripped out the LiveCD system and put in my LFS system into the root.ext2 file system. After a few tweaks I got it booting and everything went great! After using it for a bit I have found that the stock LiveCD kernel that it boots from doesn't have all the drivers I use. I have tried just simply replacing the default kernel with the kernel from my system and  it didn't work. I have done some research and I recompiled my kernel to include devmapper. But it still gives a kernel sync error problem, it seems to not be able to find the CD after detecting all the devices. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this even supported in the LiveCD mailing list?

Yeah, you're missing the initramfs and the init scripts that tell the
kernel to continue loading the system from the CD, not from a partition
as it would usually do.

I can't recall off-hand if Alex wrote anything about how to include the
initramfs into a custom kernel. For starters, look through the README on
the CD.