Live CD installation as VMware VM - Instruction

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:18:53 PST 2008

2008/2/29, Achim Pulger <apu64 at gmx.de>:
> Hi all,
>
>  i've just finish a instruction to create a VMware virtual machine from the LFSliveCD (not mounting the ISO image).
>
>  It would be nice if some people can test and comment it.

I must say that the author understands nothing about the difference
between the LiveCD and a regular LFS system. E.g., instead of removing
the LiveCD-specific quirk about not using tmpfs for /dev, this
document suggests renaming the S40mountfs script. Additionally,
instead of configuring the language the way it is suggested to do in
the LFS book, the LiveCD-specific "langconf" script is modified. Look
at the garbage it leaves in /etc/profile after the second boot. There
are more such issues. If you want to extract the LiveCD contents to a
partition, better use my proprietary HOWTO, available under the
following conditions via private mail:

1. The recepient won't redistribute it
2. The recepient has built a recent (i.e., >=6.2) LFS at least once,
starting from a non-livecd-based distribution and not using any
automation tools.
3. The recepient realizes that the LiveCD contents differ from LFS
4. The recepient unsubscribes from the support lists and agrees to be
banned on #lfs-support IRC channel.