Notes for the new maintainer: packages

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon May 28 05:19:43 PDT 2007

lists wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> But BLFS packages that could use HAL are not on the CD, are they?
>
> ahh, xfree is, and it can use hal, xfce is ;)

XFree86 is not on the CD (xorg is, but it can't use HAL). XFCE's support for
HAL is so buggy (for i18n reasons that are worked around with a kernel patch
on the CD, and for presenting a desktop icon for my iPod that only produces
cryptic error messages) that it is better left disabled.

> when working off the cd? how to change a burnt livecd to have the
> net-setup script not use dhcp by default?

we are apparently talking about a different net-setup tool then. The CD runs
dhcpcd by default. If you type "net-setup" at the command prompt, dhcpcd is
stopped, and you are presented with a dialog that allows you to enter the
connection parameters for each network interface and/or modem.

> the standard tool has been ifconfig for a long time, it's the command people expect to use
> to reconfigure an interface. [ it took me a couple of hours of searching
> to find the net-setup script when I first needed to change the nic to a
> static ip. ]

Valid point.