Notes for the new maintainer: packages

lists lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Sun May 27 06:58:47 PDT 2007

Just a couple of comments added in the notes, where they fit the note
above them.

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Here is a list of packages on the CD that have some notes:
>
> 915resolution: needed in order to get native resolution on some laptops with
>   Intel graphics cards. Made obsolete by the xf86-video-intel driver that is
> not on the CD (because it is post-7.2 material).
>
> brltty: requested by a blind user, can be tested by booting the CD in qemu
> with the following command line:
>
> linux DISPLAY=10.0.2.2:0 brltty=xw,10.0.2.2:0,xx
>
> where xx is the Braille table (e.g., "fr_FR"). Probably became broken in
> UTF-8 locales when LFS dropped the UTF-8 kernel patch. Certainly does not
> work with USB braille displays, because it still tries to access
> /proc/bus/usb. Debian has a patch that makes brltty use libusb on Linux.
>
> LFS-BOOK: also used to put sources to /lfs-sources (works with development
> book only, because of the wget-list target in the LFS Makefile)
>
> Mesa, DRI: used by xlockmore. Some video drivers don't build without DRI.
>
> URI: dependency of xfce
>
> Xorg: this has a lot of deviations from the book. First, all of the legacy
> bitmap fonts are disabled, and only Xft-aware applications are used on the
> CD. The server is prohibited from listening on TCP connections via the
> xserverrc file created in the Xorg-base package. Video card detection is
> done via udev rules generated in the "xorg-udev-rules" package, based on the
> PCI IDs that each video driver claims to support.
>
> alsa: for xfmedia (a media player). There was also a plan to add festival
> and the "speakup" kernel patch.
>
> anthy and all scim-related packages: used by Asian people, see more
> information at http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/InputMethods
>
> binutils64, gcc64: installed into /tools, used for building a 64-bit kernel.
> There is no need to install a 64-bit glibc (trick: make all-gcc). Thanks to
> cross-lfs for providing information on cross-compilation, including this trick.

Maybe an errata page or section for little things like this until such
time as the book is changed to include 64bit builds. The 64bit builds
are increasing as the shops stop carrying 32 bit machines.

> blfs-bootscripts: has a patch for autostarting ssh daemon (untested) and a
> replacement pppoe network service. See more information about pppoe setup at
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/PPP (ignore the pcall bit, it was
> added only to applease Randy so that he doesn't cry about passwords stored
> in cleartext on the hard disk, even though that is what all distros do)
>
> cdrtools, zisofs-tools: installed into /tools, so that they can be called
> with the root.ext2 file unmounted. The BLFS patches are not applied because
> the CD uses only ASCII filenames for files stored directly on it.
>
> dbus: used only by xfce and xfmedia
>
> ddccontrol: you must have a Samsung monitor in order to test it
>
> device-mapper: used by LVM2, dmraid, and the CD itself. Installation of the
> static library is a left-over from the 6.2 CD, which had a statically linked
> binary /init in initramfs.
>
> dialog: used by the configurators that run during boot, and by the net-setup
> command.
>
> distcc: untested
>
> dmraid: needed by people who have fakeraid cards and dual-boot with Windows.
> You can test it without a fakeraid card (even in qemu), by reading header
> files in lib/format/ataraid (lsi.h is very simple) and creating fake
> metadata with a hex editor.
>
> fontconfig: Japanese is handled incorrectly (AR PL New Sung font is chosen
> by default instead of Kochi, fix unknown)
>
> fonts-*: feel free to add more of them, for better Unicode coverage
>
> fuse: used by NTFS-related programs
>
> gc: used only by w3m
>
> gcc33: the libstdc++.so.5 library is absolutely needed by the proprietary
> "fglrx" driver (dropped because it is too fat).
>
> gpm: has deviations from the book, documented at
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/GPM. Copying-and-pasting
> non-ASCII characters in UTF-8 console mode is broken.
>
> hal: used only by xfce, requires a kernel patch for correct iocharset
> handling. Possible candidate for removal because of that.

hal is also used by a number of blfs packages, but it's not required for
building the base system.

> hibernate-script: do not upgrade. Versions later than 1.91 call scriptlets
> more than once, and our network scripts don't like that.
>
> imlib, imlib2: used only by w3m
>
> iproute2: some non-LFS users complain that there is no "ifconfig" on the CD,
> maybe add net-tools too? see http://www.sourcemage.org/node/1193

My static ip network means when I'm working on a system build using the
livecd, I have to reconfigure the network, ifconfig would be simpler.

> kbd: some additional keymaps are installed
>
> libaal, reiser4progs: currently disabled because there is no kernel patch
> that works reliably out of the box (or maybe there is, but things will break
> again with the 2.6.22 kernel). GRUB patch from their site has issues, please
> make sure you don't overoptimize. The 6.2-5 CD handles the situation correctly.
>
> libnotify, notification-daemon-xfce: currently they display messages when it
> is safe to remove a flash disk. Before upgrading from Gaim to Pidgin, chat
> notifications were also displayed there - but gaim-libnotify is not
> compatible with Pidgin. These packages are candidates for removal (see also
> hal).
>
> librcc, librcd, taglib: taglib (used by xfmedia) is patched in order to
> display id3v1 tags according to the de-facto standards. See
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/ID3v1Coding for the description
> of the issue
>
> librsvg: some icons provided by xfce are available in SVG format only
>
> libsexy: used only by notification-daemon-xfce, candidate for removal
>
> translated manual pages: outdated, were useful only in order to demonstrate
> how man-db works before UTF-8 support got merged into LFS. Remove?
>
> msmtp: used my Mutt and Tin, so please don't remove if you add native SMTP
> support to Mutt.
>
> Mutt: native SMTP support is not used because it depends on Cyrus SASL
> (which is fat).
>
> ncftp: has problems with command line editing (e.g., Home and End keys), and
> lftp probably can do everything better. Remove?
>
> nfs-utils: there is a new upstream version, and one may want to add NFS4 support
>
> oui-data: used by net-setup
>
> pcmcia-cs: used only for CIS overrides (fake firmware), untested
>
> pcmciautils: untested
>
> pidgin: Archaic said that he doesn't like the automatic login to the LFS IRC
> server
>
> vbetool: used by hibernate-script, untested
>
> wireless_tools: untested, WPA support is missing
>
> xchat: we have three other IRC clients on the CD. Remove?
>
> zlib: installed in /tools, too, because of zisofs-tools

Jaqui