Booting from SATA CDROM

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Mar 28 22:02:50 PDT 2007

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:51:25PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> This may mean that the particular model of the SATA controller is
>> unsupported (jmicron?). Or maybe (I am not sure when this became the
>> default) you just have to boot the CD as "linux libata.atapi_enabled=1".
>
> Yes it's a jmicron. Does that kernel have the jmicron driver enabled?

The jmicron driver simply doesn't exist for linux < 2.6.19. So there is no
LFS LiveCD release that will work for you, sorry.

> That could be a bit of a problem. I don't have enough time to build a custom
> livecd. Is any work being done on the livecd version that includes a newer
> kernel version and the jmicron driver?

Yes, the LiveCD in SVN includes linux-2.6.20.1, with the jmicron driver. I
will not backport it to the official 6.2 series. You can, however, try
building your own 2.6.20.4 kernel and remastering the 6.2-5 CD. Just make
sure that your SATA driver is built as non-module, and that the following
configuration variables are set:

CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y

and that there is no other non-modular block device driver with dynamic
major number (known offenders: software RAID and packet CD writing). This is
needed in order for the device mapper to get the major number 254, as
expected by the initramfs.