Booting from SATA CDROM

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Mar 28 08:51:25 PDT 2007

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have this new computer I'd like to get LFS installed on (of course). I'm
> hitting a little snag with the Live CD, version 6.2-5. It is unable to locate
> the LiveCD once the kernel has finished loading. I'm running from a SATA
> CD-RW/DVD-RAM type drive.

This may mean that the particular model of the SATA controller is
unsupported (jmicron?). Or maybe (I am not sure when this became the
default) you just have to boot the CD as "linux libata.atapi_enabled=1".

And, the kernel on the 6.2-5 CD is really old.

> I just spotted the 6.3-pre1 version which I've begun downloading just in case I
> get lucky with it.

On this CD, libtool is miscompiled.

> In the mean time I'll try this CD of course. Maybe it's just a matter of kernel
> tweaking.
>
> I'm pretty sure that I read in a previous release announcement that SATA CD
> drives are supported out-of-the-box, correct?

They are supposed to be supported, but I have no means to test this.