[RFC] Kernel and initramfs plans

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 4 11:08:40 PST 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2) Follow the other distributions and load the needed drivers (and only
> them) from initramfs with the help of udev. This requires a full redesign of
> the initramfs and dropping the C-based /init binary.

I prefer this option, mostly because it reduces the size of the kernel
(I assume anything that can be modular will be...) by a great deal. And
it does seem to be the standard approach - there's something to be said
for that. Still, why does this require dropping the C init?

I'm not really objecting to doing that (at least for the x86 cd - if I
ever do get around to building a sparc cd I may have to continue using
the C-based init), I just want to understand fully why it is required to
use a shell-based init.