Issue with Ubuntu 7.04 (root.ext2 creation)

Di Appoggio diappoggio at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 03:40:47 PDT 2007

> > b)
> > root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# echo y | mke2fs root.ext2
> > mke2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
> > root.ext2 is not a special block device.
> > Continue anyway? (y,n)@marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd#
>
> No errors here. Is the filesystem mountable at this point?

Of course not :-(

root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# mount -o loop root.ext2 /opt/lfs/image
mount: you have to specify a filesystem type

root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# mount -t ext2 -o loop root.ext2 /opt/lfs/image
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# dmesg | tail
[141958.790517] cramfs: wrong magic
[141958.791231] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop0.
[141958.791916] VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop0.

Even if I use mke3fs multiple times, root.ext2 is never mountable

> > c)
> > root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 root.ext2
> > tune2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
> > tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block during opening of root.ext2
> > Impossibile to find a valid superblock for the filesystem.
>
> Hm. Debian Etch has the same version of e2fsprogs and can build LFS just
> fine. So this is either a case of miscompilation in Ubuntu (I won't be
> surprised), or bad RAM.
>
> As a workaround, you can temporarily remove the tune2fs command from the
> Makefile - but then the CD will complain about the unchecked filesystem in
> 30 days or so.

Already did it but i have more seriuos problem.

Maybe I can attempt some custom compilation of ext tool on Ubuntu