Issue with Ubuntu 7.04 (root.ext2 creation)

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jun 29 03:22:49 PDT 2007

Di Appoggio wrote:
> I've just installed a desktop with Ubuntu Feisty and downloaded
> lfs-livecd with svn but I  can't create a correct root.ext2 image.

Strange indeed.

> Executing command one by one:
>
> a)
> root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# dd if=/dev/null of=root.ext2 bs=1M seek=1536
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes (0 B) copied, 4,5248e-05 seconds, 0,0 kB/s

Good. I suppose that this command successfully created a sparse file:

# ls -l root.ext2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1610612736 2007-06-27 20:26 root.ext2

> b)
> root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# echo y | mke2fs root.ext2
> mke2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
> root.ext2 is not a special block device.
> Continue anyway? (y,n)@marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd#

No errors here. Is the filesystem mountable at this point?

> c)
> root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 root.ext2
> tune2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
> tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block during opening of root.ext2
> Impossibile to find a valid superblock for the filesystem.

Hm. Debian Etch has the same version of e2fsprogs and can build LFS just
fine. So this is either a case of miscompilation in Ubuntu (I won't be
surprised), or bad RAM.

As a workaround, you can temporarily remove the tune2fs command from the
Makefile - but then the CD will complain about the unchecked filesystem in
30 days or so.