Issue with Ubuntu 7.04 (root.ext2 creation)

Di Appoggio diappoggio at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 03:09:35 PDT 2007

I've just installed a desktop with Ubuntu Feisty and downloaded
lfs-livecd with svn but I  can't create a correct root.ext2 image.

Executing command one by one:

a)
root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# dd if=/dev/null of=root.ext2 bs=1M seek=1536
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 4,5248e-05 seconds, 0,0 kB/s

b)
root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# echo y | mke2fs root.ext2
mke2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
root.ext2 is not a special block device.
Continue anyway? (y,n)@marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd#

c)
root at marco:/opt/lfs/lfs-livecd# tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 root.ext2
tune2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block during opening of root.ext2
Impossibile to find a valid superblock for the filesystem.

I've installed italian language so the above message are (badly) translated.
Maybe ext2 tools are too new?