LiveCD rebuild help requested

lists lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Mon Jun 11 04:03:46 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> lists wrote:
>> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>>> All chipset-specific video drivers, except "nv", contain a full list of
>>> supported PCI IDs. The "nv" driver contains only a partial list, and in fact
>>> supports more than it advertises. In this case, the words "Unknown NVIDIA
>>> chip" appear in the log. Does this apply to your card?
>> The nv driver for x leaves artifacts if you shut the xserver down, with
>> my nvidia chipset card.
>> The nvidia proprietary driver resolves the issue.
>> The card is actually branded Asus, it uses the nvidia tc 6800 chipset.
>
> Sorry, I need the exact PCI ID. It takes a form of two numbers, like
> 1002:5961. If you send the output of "lspci -n", I will get it from there.

under r1904 lspci -n:
00:00.0 0600: 1106:0336
00:00.1 0600: 1106:1336
00:00.2 0600: 1106:2336
00:00.3 0600: 1106:3336
00:00.4 0600: 1106:4336
00:00.5 0800: 1106:5336
00:00.7 0600: 1106:7336
00:01.0 0604: 1106:b188
00:02.0 0604: 1106:a238
00:03.0 0604: 1106:c238
00:09.0 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 10)
00:0f.0 0101: 1106:3149 (rev 80)
00:0f.1 0101: 1106:0571 (rev 06)
00:10.0 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 81)
00:10.1 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 81)
00:10.2 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 81)
00:10.3 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 81)
00:10.4 0c03: 1106:3104 (rev 86)
00:11.0 0601: 1106:3227
00:11.5 0401: 1106:3059 (rev 60)
00:18.0 0600: 1022:1100
00:18.1 0600: 1022:1101
00:18.2 0600: 1022:1102
00:18.3 0600: 1022:1103
02:00.0 0300: 10de:0161 (rev a1)

>> I know that including the proprietary drivers is not going to happen, I
>> just figure that getting it known that the nv driver may not be the best
>> option for an nvidia chipset is a good idea.
>
> Previously, the CD included proprietary drivers and allowed the user to
> build them. However, the "nvidia" driver crashed last time Archaic tested
> it, and "fglrx" is simply too fat (more than 60 M) to be included on the CD
> without repackaging. If you help with testing and fglrx repackaging, I will
> add them both.

I can help with that easily enough, since I'm planning on doing a
complete rebuild of the 64 bit system, which has the nvidia chipset card
on it.

> Note that Alan Cox thinks that defaulting to the proprietary drivers (as
> opposed to simply including them on the CD in their original form and
> letting the user build and install them) violates GPL.

This can be argued both ways, it isn't a GPL package itself, but it
doesn't violate the GPL < V3.
[ the anti drm stance of V3 it may be a violation of, that went a bit to
far. Since the nvidia driver is a kernel module and the kernel is GPL V2
with no plan on switching to V3 there sholdn't be any conflict. ]

>> The artifact is the mouse cursor in the lower right quadrant of the
>> display. This persists in both a no x environment after shutting x down,
>> as well as coming back from power save screen blanking or screensaver.
>
> Please report it to bugs.freedesktop.org.

Will do that, I thought it would have been reported already.

Jaqui