LiveCD rebuild help requested

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Jun 11 01:36:53 PDT 2007

lists wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> All chipset-specific video drivers, except "nv", contain a full list of
>> supported PCI IDs. The "nv" driver contains only a partial list, and in fact
>> supports more than it advertises. In this case, the words "Unknown NVIDIA
>> chip" appear in the log. Does this apply to your card?
>
> The nv driver for x leaves artifacts if you shut the xserver down, with
> my nvidia chipset card.
> The nvidia proprietary driver resolves the issue.
> The card is actually branded Asus, it uses the nvidia tc 6800 chipset.

Sorry, I need the exact PCI ID. It takes a form of two numbers, like
1002:5961. If you send the output of "lspci -n", I will get it from there.

> I know that including the proprietary drivers is not going to happen, I
> just figure that getting it known that the nv driver may not be the best
> option for an nvidia chipset is a good idea.

Previously, the CD included proprietary drivers and allowed the user to
build them. However, the "nvidia" driver crashed last time Archaic tested
it, and "fglrx" is simply too fat (more than 60 M) to be included on the CD
without repackaging. If you help with testing and fglrx repackaging, I will
add them both.

Note that Alan Cox thinks that defaulting to the proprietary drivers (as
opposed to simply including them on the CD in their original form and
letting the user build and install them) violates GPL.

> The artifact is the mouse cursor in the lower right quadrant of the
> display. This persists in both a no x environment after shutting x down,
> as well as coming back from power save screen blanking or screensaver.

Please report it to bugs.freedesktop.org.