LiveCD rebuild help requested

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Jun 10 22:05:51 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Any reason not to run something like Xorg -configure during init if
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't exist? It's a little ugly, but it seems
> like a much better idea than trying to duplicate PCI data again.

Xorg -configure cannot be used because it brings VMware video output and
some real video cards made by S3 Inc. into completely unusable state until
reboot.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf always exists, because we want a place to write XKB
settings to. The default video driver is "vesa", and udev rules change that.

And I am not duplicating PCI data - there is a little program in the
"xorg-udev-rules" package that extracts them from the drivers. And, if you
look at the xf86-video-nv-1.2.2.1/src/nv_driver.c and compare the NVProbe()
function with Probe functions of other drivers, you'll clearly see that "nv"
is a special case.