LiveCD rebuild help requested

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Jun 10 07:38:28 PDT 2007

Roger Young wrote:
> One small point concerning the automatic graphics configuration:
> the earlier 6.2-5 iso selected "nv" for my graphics driver which is
> correct, whereas the 6.3-pre2-r1904 iso chose the "vesa" option
> which led to a "Frequency out of range" signal from the
> monitor.

This is impossible to tell without your "lspci && lspci -n" output.

The video card detection method changed completely between the CDs. The
stable CD defers all the dirty work to the getconfig.pl script that comes
with Xorg. This method is unsuitable now for the following reasons:

1) The script does not exist in Xorg-7.2
2) Sometimes (e.g. with any Radeon >= X1000) it selects a completely
non-working driver, because it looks only at the vendor ID in most cases

So the development CD build process extracts a list of supported PCI IDs
from each video driver and writes udev rules
(/etc/udev/rules.d/30-video.rules) that look like this:

# ATI Radeon 9200 5961 (AGP)
ATTR{vendor}=="0x1002", ATTR{device}=="0x5961", RUN+="/bin/sed -i
s/vesa/ati/ /etc/X11/xorg.conf"

All chipset-specific video drivers, except "nv", contain a full list of
supported PCI IDs. The "nv" driver contains only a partial list, and in fact
supports more than it advertises. In this case, the words "Unknown NVIDIA
chip" appear in the log. Does this apply to your card?

Anyway, I can add a quirk specifically for your card to the CD once I know
its PCI ID.