r1952 and older hardware

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jul 31 07:20:14 PDT 2007

lists wrote:
> winxp pro with sp2 won't install, won't even boot into the installer.
> error message, insufficient ram.

Strange. My copy of Windows XP Pro SP2, if I boot it in KVM with only 32
megabytes of virtual RAM allocated to the virtual machine, displays the
following message:

This computer does not have enough memory to run Windows XP.

This version requires 64.00 megabytes (MB)
of memory (RAM).

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

So, now we have two bugs :(

1) Windows XP doesn't detect the full amount of RAM.
2) Interrupts from the IDE controller don't always reach the CPU
(workaround: ide=nodma)

I am not sure if I can support this buggy laptop. IMHO, it is just out
of order.