r1952 and older hardware

lists lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Tue Jul 31 07:16:11 PDT 2007

lists wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>> lists wrote:
>>> linux ide=nodma worked as well, without the clock=pit.
>>>

>> ide=nodma disables DMA for all IDE devices, including your hard disk.
>> This is very slow. hdc=nodma means "disable DMA for CD-ROM but enable it
>> for the hard disk".
>>
>> clock=pit was for the "clcksource tsc unstable (delta=2796062268 ns)"
>> message.
>>
> nope, linux clock=pit hdc=nodma doesn't boot.
> ide=nodma works, since the hard disk is udma it doesn't seem to affect
> the hd.

even with the full ide=nodma I was able to access hda and change
partition table, mke2fs on one and mkswap on the swap partition
space.

xfree functioning, just really slow
a bit if a tweak to the cat5 alignment and was even able to take the
beast online. definately need to find a lighter browser than seamonkey,
or firefox, which is even more bloated on the drive and ram than
seamonkey. looks like dillo will be the browser I install on this thing.
same limitations as lynx, but a gtk based browser.