hardware reuirements?

lists lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Tue Jul 31 04:00:25 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> lists wrote:
>> since the livecd doesn't want to boot on my old laptop, I'm starting to
>> think that it's a lack of ram on the laptop that is the issue.
>>
> The old 6.2-5 CD is undebuggable (and even worse, problems cannot be
> worked around) because of the binary init. Please try the latest
> semi-stable CD:
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs-livecd/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r1952-nosrc.iso
> or (if you want sources on the CD)
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs-livecd/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r1952.iso
>
> And any "does not boot" report is a P1 critical bug.

Alex,
the latest version I tested is r1950.
grub loads the first boot screen, after that it gets as far as reading
the squashfs then hangs.
I recently checked with slakware net install, and it booted, but
wouldn't actually install. This caused me to check the slak based Vector
and it hung at the same point as the lfs livecd r1950.

a install cd which doesn't use squashfs will boot, so I may have to
remaster the livecd to be a source free version running off the cd drive
instead of a ram mounted image.
this old dell inspiron 3000 is a pentium mmx @ 266MHz, so it's old and
limited in resources, only a 3 GB hd and 111 MB ram [ with bios and
video cached out of that ]
usb 1.1 [ one slot only ] and pcmcia cardbus for additional hardware.
[ networking through the pcmcia only ]
since I don't have anything with ir support, I'm not sure if the irda
device in it does work.

This is the one system I have been fighting to get a recent version of
any linux to install, right now it only seems to like Mandrake 8.2
it won't even install an older version of debian woody I have on cd.
[ defaults to the 2.4 kernel as does the slak 10.1 cds I have ]

Jaqui