boot LiveCD from hard disk - now possible!

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 29 15:22:34 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> starting from r1950, it is possible to store the LiveCD image on a partition
> (maybe even on a flash drive - but it is untested) as a file, and boot this
> file as a real CD. To do so, just extract the following files from the CD:

This method worked from an internal disk, but not from my usb drive. I
received a 'must specify the filesystem' mount error when trying to
mount the root device. This came very quickly after the usb-storage
module was just starting to load, so I assume that the problem is due to
a race condition. Seems like init is trying to mount the partition
before the usb device has been fully scanned.

I'm going to see if I can verify this by adding a command to sleep for
10 seconds or so before attempting to mount the root device.