LiveCD Users

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:37:31 PDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Admittedly, I was disappointed to see that only one {x,}LFS developer
> commented. :/ Still, there was far more feedback than I expected. Thanks
> again, everyone.

I thought it was more for the users. I don't use the LiveCD too much,
but I think it's invaluable. The latest version I ran was a pretty
recent SVN because I needed the drivers for my JMicron PATA
controller.

The main reason I use it is for testing bootstraps of the book since
it's pretty easy to get up and running without intruding on my current
system. The other reason I really like to keep it around is as a
rescue CD. It doesn't happen too much, but the knowledge that there
are a clean set of tools ready on a CD makes me comfy.

I think it's pretty good as is. The X setup is nice, but I mainly want
it for the toolchain/base utilities. I really don't use the extra
stuff too much. I think the minimal build you're putting together is
great. I rarely feel the need to have all the sources on disk, and
usually I just need a shell to start rocking.

I used to find the C based init program irritating, but now it's been
removed for a shell based one. That seems nicer and more flexible.

I can't really think of anything that I'd really like to see added. I
think it's very good for it's main purpose: letting me bootstrap a
system.

--
Dan