Internet on LiveCD

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Jul 14 16:49:06 PDT 2007

I'm going to use LiveCD as a host system for another LFS build.  Want to
reformat the hard drives and go from scratch.  My problem is in
connecting to the Internet.  I might add that this area is one of the
weakest I have in building these LFS systems.  I have, from pure rote,
performed commands and created files.  I know only that in my current
system I can connect to the Internet.  Don't ask me why. <BG>

What I want to do is to remaster LiveCD with my networking settings.  I
copied /etc/resolv.conf and the complet /etc/sysconfig/network-devices
from my current system to the running LiveCd system.  The only thing I
didn't do was copy my /etc/sysconfig/network file to the LiveCD system.
I checked the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network scripts and they are identical.
Here are the contents of the files and directories that I copied:
> # Begin /etc/resolv.conf
>
> domain grm.net
> search grm.net
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 216.139.111.53
> nameserver 216.139.111.54
>
> # End /etc/resolv.conf
>
> ls /etc/sysconfig/network-devices
> ifconfig.eth0
> ifdown
> ifup
> services
>
> ls  /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0
> ipv4-static
>
> cat  /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4-static
> #DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> SERVICE=ipv4-static
> IP=216.139.123.xxx
> GATEWAY=216.139.123.xxx
> #PREFIX=32
> PEER=216.139.123.xxx
> BROADCAST=216.139.123.xxx
> DNS1=216.139.111.xx
> DNS2=2i6.139.111.xx
> #NETMASK=255.255.255.xxx

I'm pretty sure the 'ifup' and 'ifdown' scripts are the same.  My (B)LFS
system is an SVN build that I completed in January, 2006. The LiveCD I'm
using is the current release.

I would appreciate it if someone sees something in my files or
directories that I need to change to put on the LiveCD, or if there are
any hints that I can use.

Thanks,

Dan