Two new testing ISOs

kas kas111 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:04:10 PDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 02:16:05 am Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> > Just made two new isos available for testing. I didn't call them 'pre'
> > anything because I don't think they're qualified to even be called
> > pre-releases yet. The functionality Alexander mentioned about being able
> > to run it from a hard disk should be present, though it is untested by
> > me.
>
> Thanks! What have you tested on those CDs? Do they shut down cleanly?
>
> --
> Alexander E. Patrakov

Folks,

I just have to say that the LiveCD is magnificent ... I built a basic system
using the 6.2.5 CD per the book the hard way ... i.e. typing things in a
console as X can never figure out this Dell monitor and I sorta wanted to do
this to force myself to actually read the book.

After adding a few things from the BLFS book, I read Alexander's email about
moving the CD stuff to a hard drive which intrigued me ... and as I was about
to look for r1950, Jeremy announced 6.3-r1952 so I grabbed that.  I installed
that per Alexander's instructions on a hard drive, booted, took the 3 minutes
it took to fix xorg.conf and a startx had me on a very nice xfce desktop.

Doing the cut 'n paste thing from the browser to an xterm was just too
easy ... so after getting to Chapter 6 on a second partition, I decided this
was silly and decided to grok jhalfs and start out fresh.

The r1952 CD still has jhalfs-2.1 included ... after a few make attempts that
didn't go well because I didn't get things in the right place, I decided to
get jhalfs-2.2 and try again.

Even considering that I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, getting 2.2 happy
was pretty easy ... so far we are a tad over 49 minutes and 036-gcc-pass2 is
building.  A little experience and actually thinking about the error messages
works wonders.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has put so much effort
into LFS ... I hit a wall with the "F" word distro ... I've learned more in 4
days with this than I learned in the last 4 years with that distro.  Darn,
this is really kewl ;)

Best Regards,
Karen