boot LiveCD from hard disk - now possible!

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Jul 8 00:46:53 PDT 2007

Hello,

starting from r1950, it is possible to store the LiveCD image on a partition
(maybe even on a flash drive - but it is untested) as a file, and boot this
file as a real CD. To do so, just extract the following files from the CD:

boot/isolinux/linux (or linux64)
boot/isolinux/initramfs_data.cpio.gz

Copy them to your hard disk into the /boot/lfs directory. Copy the LiveCD
image anywhere else. Let's assume it is
/root/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-pre2-r1950.iso, and the root partition is /dev/hda2.
Then, add the following to the GRUB configuration:

title LFS LiveCD
	kernel /boot/lfs/linux
root=iso:/dev/hda2:/root/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-pre2-r1950.iso rw
	initrd /boot/lfs/initramfs_data.cpio.gz

That's all!

The r1950 CD is currently being built on ums.usu.ru, I will post a download
link when it is ready. Feel free to race with me if you have a faster CPU.