LiveCD status request

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jul 4 23:41:01 PDT 2007

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Just a small hello and a request for some info. After a much-needed
> break, I have a bit more free time this summer and I'd like to do some
> work on the LiveCD. I've scanned through my LFS emails (although there's
> about 1700 of them waiting for me, so it might take a while to get
> through all of them), and it seems that there's not much development on
> the CD these days. Is that right?

The only significant changes were addition of sound support (TODO: speakup,
sane default volume levels), HAL (followed by its removal because of i18n
issues), and a switch to a fully modular kernel (rationale: ability to
blacklist broken drivers). Also, firmware files for all SCSI controllers and
wireless cards were added.

You are also right that the CD is nearly unmaintained. I even filed a bug in
LFS trac, http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2023. Feel free to
close it if you really want to co-maintain the CD.