macbook

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Jul 3 11:04:13 PDT 2007

Christoph Ostarek wrote:

> and where can I get the 64-compiler and the tutorial for it?

http://trac.cross-lfs.org/

The CD has only a 32-bit compiler, but a 64-bit kernel is all that is needed
to follow that book. A 64-bit compiler is build by a 32-bit compiler as one
of the first steps.

> why isn't there a 64-edition?

1) Because CLFS is a complete fork over LFS. An attempt to create combined
Makefiles that can build both LFS and CLFS was conducted in 2005 and
resulted in that crappy 64-bit CD that you downloaded first. The result was
unmaintainable, because the books are too different and Makefiles were
plagued with a lot of ifdefs that were easy to get wrong.

2) Because nobody bought me a laptop with a 64-bit CPU yet. Thus, I can't
compile a 64-bit CD natively myself (on the latest development CD, the
64-bit kernel is cross-compiled, but cross-compilation doesn't work for all
packages).

If you want to create and maintain your own 64-bit CD, you are welcome to
use my CD as a base.