Boot from ISO.

Zephyr 2002000 zephyr2002000 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 27 08:13:32 PST 2007

Hi,

Hope this isn't an unwanted intrusion.

Am on the LFS mailing lists and was reading your post(s).
Had some questions and thoughts.

Was wondering how you attempted to boot from the Knoppix iso.

Did you use the CD and cheatcode to boot from the iso or did you mod GRUB
and
attempt to boot from the hard drive directly?

Built LFS 6.1.1 last summer. I used the LFS 6.1.1 Live CD as the basis for
the build. Worked out great.
Am not sure what you mean by losing your configurations.
IIRC, at different stages in the build I only had to issue a few commands to
get back into the proper environment and could then procede to the next
steps
in the build process.
The machine I built it on was shut down numerous times during the week or so
it took me to build LFS 6.1.1
It's been a while but, IIRC, it really wasn't a problem.
And, the needed info was in the LFS book that was contained on the CD.

Have the fully functional basic LFS 6.1.1 build on my secondary box. It's a
good way to
become more familar with Linux. Especially for a Linux novice like me.

Then... got sidetracked by Knoppix and more recently Debian Etch -testing.
Etch is (at least so far) a great distro. Am really impressed with it.

Have what's called a Knoppix 'poor man's install' on my machine. Used the
tohd=/dev/hda1
cheatcode to copy a Knoppix created file on my WIN98SE-FAT32 partition, and
now boot with the CD to the prompt and enter knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 to use
hd image knoppix saved there.
This may or may not be of any use to you because it treats the HD that
Knoppix boots from as a read-only CD-Rom. And, permanent program
installation is not really doable.
It might possible to remount it, and make it write accessible but I've
not had any success with this.

If you have multiple partitions and/or hard drives read-write is not a
problem. Have a couple of drives and several partitions with ext2, vfat and
ntfs so it's usable for me this way.
In fact this works nearly as well as the Debain Etch install.

Not sure about the iso boot cheatcode. Haven't got around to trying it. Am
wondering if it would set the partition the iso is in as read-only.

Have read of folks iso booting using GRUB etc on the Knoppix forums. Not
just hard drives, but thumb drives etc as well.

zephyr