Boot from ISO.

TekEmperor tekemperor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 16:03:16 PST 2007

On 2/26/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> TekEmperor wrote:
> > I do believe this has already been asked, but I can't find the answer
> > and I've never posted to a mailing-list before.  I understand that
> > booting from an LFS LiveCD ISO copied to my harddrive is not the same
> > as the LFS that I am going to build.  This is not a shortcut, I just
> > need a stable host OS.  That out of the way...
>
> The full answer will be mailed to you privately if this is not your firt LFS
> and you promise that you will never ask for support. However, it looks like
> you don't need that, see below.

Unfortunately I can't make such a promise since this is my first LFS.
However, I don't usually ask for support.  I find google to be much
faster, (I've never run into a "new" problem).  This happened to be
one area where the answer was not available.  (Or I lack the capacity
to understand it).

> > I have an old thinkpad 770 on which I'd like to install LFS.  I tried
> > many linux distros as a host OS, but the things that worked on this
> > computer lacked certain requirements necessary to build the LFS system
> > (most notably a 2.6.x kernel).  I am able to boot from the LiveCD, so
> > I know this will work.  However, it's very slow.  I'd also like to be
> > able to shut it down without losing my configurations during the
> > installation of LFS.
>
> What you need is not to "install the CD to the hard drive", but to be able
> to continue without losing configuration.
>
> The "very slow" issue will likely persist even if you install the CD
> contents to the hard disk. The reason is that, after you complete building
> binutils pass 1, the kernel caches almost everything in RAM, and things are
> as fast as they would be from the hard disk.
>
> To be able to continue without losing configuration, it is sufficient to
> hibernate the computer. Please read the README file in the /root directory
> on the CD, it explains how to do this.

The hibernation option would not work in my current setup because the
other operating system (DSL 3.2) I use on my laptop (my only computer
right now) loads all swap partitions by default.  The idea of running
the LFS LiveCD from my harddrive is to allow a usable environment to
access the internet while I compile in the background.

> > This gives me a nice little tux icon in the upper left hand corner
> > then dies after attempting to find the CD 4 times.
> >
> > I believe the culprit is the initramfs_data_cpio.gz searching for the
> > CD, but I don't know enough about initial ram disks to change it.
>
> Well, the complete answer to this question can be abused by newbies (and
> that's the reason why it is available via private mail only), because they
> sometimes do search the archives. Hint: the kernel does support ext2
> filesystem and your IDE controller.

Well using your hint I did get farther.  I'm not going to list what I
did from there or why it didn't work.  I'm just going to assume that
there is more to it than I tried, and ask you kindly to send me the
infromation privately.  Knowing full well that if I am going to ask
for additional help (from LFS sources), I must first get to the same
point via standard means.

Does this suffice?

- Brian.