Boot from ISO.

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Feb 25 21:17:03 PST 2007

TekEmperor wrote:
> I do believe this has already been asked, but I can't find the answer
> and I've never posted to a mailing-list before.  I understand that
> booting from an LFS LiveCD ISO copied to my harddrive is not the same
> as the LFS that I am going to build.  This is not a shortcut, I just
> need a stable host OS.  That out of the way...

The full answer will be mailed to you privately if this is not your firt LFS
and you promise that you will never ask for support. However, it looks like
you don't need that, see below.

> I have an old thinkpad 770 on which I'd like to install LFS.  I tried
> many linux distros as a host OS, but the things that worked on this
> computer lacked certain requirements necessary to build the LFS system
> (most notably a 2.6.x kernel).  I am able to boot from the LiveCD, so
> I know this will work.  However, it's very slow.  I'd also like to be
> able to shut it down without losing my configurations during the
> installation of LFS.

What you need is not to "install the CD to the hard drive", but to be able
to continue without losing configuration.

The "very slow" issue will likely persist even if you install the CD
contents to the hard disk. The reason is that, after you complete building
binutils pass 1, the kernel caches almost everything in RAM, and things are
as fast as they would be from the hard disk.

To be able to continue without losing configuration, it is sufficient to
hibernate the computer. Please read the README file in the /root directory
on the CD, it explains how to do this.

> This gives me a nice little tux icon in the upper left hand corner
> then dies after attempting to find the CD 4 times.
>
> I believe the culprit is the initramfs_data_cpio.gz searching for the
> CD, but I don't know enough about initial ram disks to change it.

Well, the complete answer to this question can be abused by newbies (and
that's the reason why it is available via private mail only), because they
sometimes do search the archives. Hint: the kernel does support ext2
filesystem and your IDE controller.