Boot from ISO.

TekEmperor tekemperor at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 12:54:48 PST 2007

I do believe this has already been asked, but I can't find the answer
and I've never posted to a mailing-list before.  I understand that
booting from an LFS LiveCD ISO copied to my harddrive is not the same
as the LFS that I am going to build.  This is not a shortcut, I just
need a stable host OS.  That out of the way...

I have an old thinkpad 770 on which I'd like to install LFS.  I tried
many linux distros as a host OS, but the things that worked on this
computer lacked certain requirements necessary to build the LFS system
(most notably a 2.6.x kernel).  I am able to boot from the LiveCD, so
I know this will work.  However, it's very slow.  I'd also like to be
able to shut it down without losing my configurations during the
installation of LFS.

>From Damn Small Linux (3.2), I was able to download the LFS LiveCD ISO
(6.2-3).  I mounted the ISO and subsequently it's root.ext2 file.  I
copied the contents of the mounted root.ext2 to a clean partition.
Then deleted the /boot shortcut and replaced it with the /boot folder
from the ISO.

I configured grub (which I have conveniently on another partition)
with the following.

title lfs livecd (harddrive)
root (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/boot/isolinux/linux root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
initrd (hd0,2)/boot/isolinux/initramfs_data_cpio.gz

This gives me a nice little tux icon in the upper left hand corner
then dies after attempting to find the CD 4 times.

I believe the culprit is the initramfs_data_cpio.gz searching for the
CD, but I don't know enough about initial ram disks to change it.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Brian.