How to boot with lfs live CD iso

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Feb 14 08:47:05 PST 2007

John Gay wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 10:36, mtfbwu wrote:
>> RE:
>> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/livecd/2006-November/004127.html
>>
>> I too have a need to boot from disk rather than the liveCD.
>> Other liveCDs have a routine to install to disk from the liveCD and in
>> effect, that is what I need to do.
>> Since other distributions have this, I do not at all understand the
>>
>> comment by Alexander E. Patrakov of:
>>  >"This information has been abused in the past"
>>
> Not to second guess Alexander, but LFS is NOT a Linux distro. It's a tool for
> building a Linux system from sources as part of a wider learning experience.
>
> In the past, people have tried to find short-cuts around the required
> learning, and then pester the mailing list and spread bad info because they
> didn't take the time required to learn the process LFS teaches.

Almost correct. They installed the LiveCD to the hard disk, thought "that's
already LFS", tried to continue with BLFS or configuration/customization of
what is already there, and asked a lot of stupid questions (IOW, a person
asking any of them doesn't qualify for building LFS in the first place) on
#lfs-support.

>> Fortunatly, he goes on to say that the info is available via private email.
>> If so, I think I would like to have it.

I will send it. However, for the purposes of asking for support, the
extracted LiveCD is not LFS. Thus, the usual places to ask for LFS or BLFS
help are no longer appropriate. IOW, no support is provided to you from now
on, because you have no place to ask questions.

>> However, I would also like to know what I might be steping into.
>> If I install to disk from the liveCD will I have some problems?
>>
> I'm no expert here, but I know that the LiveCD is not complete in many way,
> and unless you know what you're doing can lead to many headaches.

There should not be any major issues, but I can't guarantee anything.

The major difference between the LiveCD and LFS is that all static libraries
except the most essential ones are not present on the CD, and that libtool
is configured to stop producing them by default. So there may be a few
places where you have to add --enable-static to the ./configure line in
order to get a usable package. There are also a few other deviations from
the book.