How to boot with lfs live CD iso

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Feb 13 22:17:45 PST 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007 10:36, mtfbwu wrote:
> RE:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/livecd/2006-November/004127.html
>
> I too have a need to boot from disk rather than the liveCD.
> Other liveCDs have a routine to install to disk from the liveCD and in
> effect, that is what I need to do.
> Since other distributions have this, I do not at all understand the
>
> comment by Alexander E. Patrakov of:
>  >"This information has been abused in the past"

Not to second guess Alexander, but LFS is NOT a Linux distro. It's a tool for
building a Linux system from sources as part of a wider learning experience.

In the past, people have tried to find short-cuts around the required
learning, and then pester the mailing list and spread bad info because they
didn't take the time required to learn the process LFS teaches.

If you want to learn to build LFS, but for some reason can't boot the Live CD,
many other distro's can be used as a starting point, including many of the
LiveCD's that can be installed.

If you want a short-cut to building a source-based distro, Gentoo might be
more suited to your needs.

> Fortunatly, he goes on to say that the info is available via private email.
> If so, I think I would like to have it.
> However, I would also like to know what I might be steping into.
> If I install to disk from the liveCD will I have some problems?

I'm no expert here, but I know that the LiveCD is not complete in many way,
and unless you know what you're doing can lead to many headaches.

I'm sure others can offer their insights as well.

> Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

	John Gay