r1451 - in branches/udev_update: . packages/bash packages/binutils packages/binutils/vars packages/coreutils packages/db packages/gcc packages/gcc/vars packages/glibc packages/texinfo packages/util-linux vars

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Sat Mar 25 16:15:38 PST 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> I did this because I thought that 'ftp.linuxfromscratch.org' was
> supposed to be the official name to use. After all, why have RR DNS
> setup if not to distribute among several participating mirrors? I didn't
> realize that we had some very unreliable mirrors participating. Seeing
> that this is the case, perhaps it would be wise to drop RR DNS entirely.

The problem with the current RR DNS setup, is I, as FTP Mirror
Maintainer, have no access to add/remove mirrors.  So the list of
mirrors for ftp.lfs.org hasn't changed or been updated for probably over
a year.

The other problem is, we don't ask mirrors to setup FTP over HTTP
(meaning http://ftp.lfs.org) at all, they only optionally do it, like I
did for lfs-matrix.net and Archaic did for lfs-matrix.org, so we can't
rely on FTP over HTTP.  If I get access to change RR DNS stuff, I can
see about only adding mirrors that support both, of course.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure we get this switched to something
sane.  Using http://ftp.lfs.org will not work 60 or 70 percent of the
time.  :)

Justin