Linux 2.6.16 and future plans

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Mon Mar 20 16:34:38 PST 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 1) unionfs-1.0.14 doesn't compile with linux-2.6.16 due to conversion of
> semaphores to mutexes. While I can patch it, it isn't sane to stick with
> the old version of unionfs forever. It is not known if a newer version
> is good, and there was no good-out-of-the box version of unionfs in the
> past. Is it acceptable to merge DM to the udev_update branch?

I'll start a build now with the latest unionfs version to see if it
worked at all, unlike the previous new releases.  Heh.

> configuration. As a side sffect, IDE disks become renamed from /dev/hdX
> to /dev/sdX. Is this acceptable?

That sounds fine for a LiveCD, but will get confusing when it gets to
users mounting their hard drive, and then later on remembering to put
hdX in /etc/fstab even though it is sdX on the LiveCD.  I don't see any
other way around it though.  We need SATA support in the LiveCD so we
will have to deal with it.

> The patch has been tested here for a month on a VIA ide controller. It
> is scheduled for merging in linux-2.6.17.

So it is pretty inevitable.  Might as well get used to it.  hdX or sdX,
it's all the same to me.  I prefer sdX since I can pretend I have nice
scsi disks instead of cheapo pata disks.  ;)

Justin