Linux 2.6.16 and future plans

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Mar 20 03:26:26 PST 2006

Hello,

1) unionfs-1.0.14 doesn't compile with linux-2.6.16 due to conversion of
semaphores to mutexes. While I can patch it, it isn't sane to stick with
the old version of unionfs forever. It is not known if a newer version
is good, and there was no good-out-of-the box version of unionfs in the
past. Is it acceptable to merge DM to the udev_update branch?

2) The same PCI IDs are claimed by the old IDE drivers and the new SATA
drivers, thus the drivers conflict. I am going, in order to avoid this
situation, to apply the following kernel patch:

http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/IDE/patch-2.6.16-rc6-ide1.gz

(or the final version when it comes out). The effect of this patch is
that all IDE and SATA devices become supported by libata, thus removing
the conflict if one removes all old IDE drivers from the kernel
configuration. As a side sffect, IDE disks become renamed from /dev/hdX
to /dev/sdX. Is this acceptable?

If not, please come up with any other solution that allows the user to
choose between functionality pieces provided by old IDE drivers and
unpatched SATA drivers.

The patch has been tested here for a month on a VIA ide controller. It
is scheduled for merging in linux-2.6.17.