XFCE problems in livecd-6.2-pre3

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Mar 19 19:40:38 PST 2006

Howard wrote:
> But I am having some problems with the XFCE setup:
> Problem 1-
> XFCE > Settings > Display is only giving me the options of 640x480 or
> 320x60.  That is all!  640x480 is not working out very well for me.  My
> eyes aren't that bad yet! kow  Some boxes run off the screen as well.

This is in Xorg FAQ that you should have read before. In short: your
monitor doesn't tell Xorg the allowable horizontal and vertical
synchronization ranges, thus Xorg makes pessimistic assumptions. You
should find the frequency ranges in the manual of your monitor and add
manually to the "Monitor" section, as HorizSync and VertRefresh
statements. If you want 1024x768 at 75Hz (for 15" LCD), the example below
should work:

HorizSync 30-61
VertRefresh 56-76

BTW, by booting with the vga=... parameter, you are asking for trouble
(slowness and instability) in X.

> Problem 2-
> I can't figure out what the heck I'm supposed to do with that dialup gui
> (gooey is right) and the help is NOT!
> -  Do you have a command line I could use?  That's what I use in RH
> 'cause their's is fubar too, and when it works it bogs down the box.
> That's useful!

The GUI is messed up. Known bug (swapped configuration for dialup and
GPRS, i.e. you should say that you want GPRS if you in fact want to
configure dialup), presumably fixed in SVN. Workaround: don't use
net-setup, edit /etc/ppp/peers/dialup, then do the following commands:

modprobe ppp-generic
sleep 1
pppd call dialup
# work with dialup, do what you want
# then disconnect:
killall pppd

However, since nobody among developers uses both dialup and the
net-setup script (I ordered ADSL two days ago, so I won't count anymore
soon), the possibility to create PPP connections will be probably
removed from the next release.

> Problem 3-
> Laptop won't "wake-up" when it goes on standby for 1hr or so.
> I have that problem with '98 as well, but not with my RH9 install.
> Where does that get set.

Nowhere. The LiveCD is not supposed to be frozen, the relevant support
is not compiled into the kernel.