Filtering out newbies

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Mar 19 19:25:19 PST 2006

This bug has been closed as invalid:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1735

But newbies who should not start with the LiveCD do cause traffic on
#lfs-support. Can this problem be approached from the LiveCD side? E.g.,
we could dedicate /dev/tty1 to kernel messages, and not run our
livecd-login script on it, thus ruling out newbies who don't know how to
switch virtual consoles.

The question is whether this will really turn newbies away or just
generate more questions like "how do I get a shell prompt".

Another issue is how to hide ALFS deom the CD (suggested by Beaker on
IRC): newbies suggest ALFS to each other and cause traffic.