"Starting init..."

Howard hlenderk at bcpl.net
Fri Mar 17 22:30:42 PST 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> You could always add the "vga=..." parameter to make your screen bigger.
>
> Anyway, please do so only after running memtest86+. Oopses involving
> do_page_fault usually indicate bad RAM.

That was on the Laptop where I CAN add the vga commands but even with
those extra lines I'm sure it still would have run past.

When I try any of the vga options on the desktop I get a black screen
and I think the boot hangs as well.  So I haven't been trying that
anymore.
I have memtest runnning on that desktop as we speak.
It has  2 errors so far both on pass 4 and test 5 which is [Block Move,
64 Moves].
It's been running a few hours now and I should be able to leave it for
another 12 or so. (kids)
I'll have to research what those errors are all about.

After the lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3 failures, I was able to get a 6,2-pre3
 burned and it is booting on the laptop!  I haven't tried the desktop
k6-2 yet.
I note that it seems to have later sources on it.
Straight boot had problems so went to:
linux noapic pci=noacpi vga=789     and I get a boot with no apparent
problems.
I am familiarizing myself with the setup.
XFCE is interesting, reminds me of Gnome except I can actually use it!
Resolution is too big though.  Messed with my eyes too!
Editing "modes" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf  to "800x600" does not seem to
help.  It has generic monitor listed , but I see now in my redhat setup
I have "Generic Laptop Display Panel 800x600" listed.  I'll try that next.
I just thought I'd drop a mention this version of the livecd working on
this old box.
Back to reading, Thanks, Howard