64 bit build?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sun Jan 29 01:16:10 PST 2006

Well, after much procrastinating and vacillating, I'm finally ready to try my
hand at building a 64-bit LFS system.

To reduce the headache, I'm going to use the
lfslivecd-x86_64-CRS051009-pre1.iso with several added files.

I'll be adding the latest stable book, which is not on this CD, along with
up-to-date stable sources and looking over Ken's 64-bit build hint for more
tips and things to look for.

Since I've a running 32 bit system here now, I'll be building everything into
an empty partition for practice and to see how my build philosophy works
through a KDE desktop, but keeping 32 bit grub as usual, just point it to the
new 64 bit kernel and root file system.

I hope to build a pure 64-bit lib system, then add lib32 as needed, though
most of the advanced tools I plan to use have 64-bit versions, the question
is how to cope with the /libXX differences. As I said, I want a /lib&/lib32
based system, but most people are still using a /lib&/lib64 layout. I am
hoping that I can just manually move their /lib to /lib32 and their /lib64
to /lib and everything will find what it needs thank to the magic of the lib
tools?

I'll let everyone know how I get on with this effort.

Cheers,

	John Gay