man-pages-it

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jan 27 21:08:29 PST 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>Alexander,
>
>The URL for man-pages-it is currently broken in the Makefiles. Seems
>that they've updated to version 2.21 and moved the one we've been using
>to the 'old' directory. Just wanted to know if we need to use
>specifically version 0.3.4, or if it's ok to upgrade.

The procedure for determining whether it is safe to upgrade translated
manual pages is:

1) Unpack the tarball
2) find . | xargs ../checkman

(the checkman script is attached)

If there are no messages "UTF-8 manual page" on stderr, the upgrade is
safe from i18n viewpoint, and you may do it anytime without asking for
my permission. Otherwise, we have a tarball for RedHat, instructions for
dealing with it are in the book, on the Man-DB page (the Spanish
example). If there are no errors from iconv and converted manuals pass
the checkman verification, upgrading with the changed instructions is safe.

This time, the upgrade is safe (but please perform it yourself). Note
that they changed packaging, i.e., there is no need to expicitly create
$(DIR). However, the premissions have to be fixed after unpacking the
tarball.

As for the new man-pages-it-extra-0.1.0.tar.gz tarball, it contains
manual pages for debian-specific programs and for inetutils components
that we disable. So, although it passes the check, I think it is not a
good idea to add it.