RFC: location of source packages on livecd - discuss

Justin Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Wed Jan 25 09:19:58 PST 2006

Matt Darcy wrote:

> The CD used to use /sources - and a lot of the people building LFS of
> late appear to be having CD's that hold the sources in /sources. I can
> only assume this has changed recently.

It was sources for all LiveCD versions 6.1 and earlier.  These CD's
aren't available to download anymore (only at
http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs-livecd-archive/) and are old and have
some bugs in them.  If someone is using a 6.1 LiveCD to build LFS 6.1.1,
the sources won't match anyways.  ;)

> Yup your spot on, but no-one reads that, or if they do they assume
> that because the sources are in /sources - $LFS/sources is the same
> thing (don't ask!!!)

Wow, I haven't read that section in the book for a long time, I can't
believe I remembered that...

> Before I drop the work on lfs-livecd's door to fix the users ignorance
> I'll rethink this. I'm loathed to change the book as its written out
> in black and white, and even some fancy colours for the HTML version.
>
> Thanks for the feedback,

No problem.  :)  If there really is something we can do to make it
easier on the LiveCD, we will consider it.  For those users who are
using a LiveCD version 6.1, they really should download the 6.1.1-3 IMO.  :)

Justin