RFC: location of source packages on livecd - discuss

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 25 08:54:31 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 04:32:08PM +0000, Matt Darcy wrote:
> if a user is following the book by creating /mnt/lfs/sources
> then ln -s /mnt/lfs/source /sources - he of course gets an error

In recent CDs the sources are actually in /lfs-sources. Doesn't that
resolve the problem? Also, with unionfs, the entire CD is writable, so
making a link, /sources shouldn't pose a problem. Also, having the
sources on a top-level directory allows us to easily access the tarballs
from some other system just by mounting the CD somewhere. They aren't
kept inside the squashfs archive.

> In my opinion we should take a harder line with this approach to
> building LFS, but - we can't so perhaps making it more base user
> friendly is an option.

Indeed. On recent CDs there shouldn't need to be any deviation from the
book.