RFC: location of source packages on livecd - discuss

Justin Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Wed Jan 25 09:04:31 PST 2006

Matt Darcy wrote:

> I'm aware this has come up before, but I'd appriciate opening up the
> dicussions again.

Discussion is always welcome.  :)

> if a user is following the book by creating /mnt/lfs/sources
> then ln -s /mnt/lfs/source /sources - he of course gets an error

Maybe I am missing the obvious here...I don't see why that would throw
an error.  The LiveCD uses /lfs-sources for the sources dir, is that the
problem?  It is normally a good idea for the user to copy the sources to
/mnt/lfs/sources or whereever he wants them, because in chroot the
symlink won't work anymore...I believe.

> If a user interprets the book to mean build in /sources, then again it
> won't work due to the read only file system.

I thought the book said to build in $LFS/sources but I could be wrong.
Will need to double check, but maybe the book itself needs to be tweaked
a bit.

The /usr/local/src doesn't matter to me.  As long as the user can find
them.  We will see what the rest of the LiveCD devs think.

Justin