Workaround for LFS LiveCD with old BIOS that wants floppy-emulation mode?

Mark A. Friedman maflists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:40:37 PST 2006

I'm working with an old machine, an IBM Aptiva 2161-C8F, a Pentium MMX 166
MHZ, with 64MB RAM, 3249MB & 341MB Hard Disks and a Hitachi CDR-8130 CD-ROM
Drive, which boots from CD but not from isolinux as the BIOS wants
floppy-emulation mode.  I'd like to install LFS on this machine using the
LFS LiveCD.  (I'm in no rush for compilations to complete!)

I am trying to use Smart BootManager 3.7 release 1 which contains a
standalone El Torito stack to work around the need for floppy-emulation
mode.  I boot from a Smart BootManager floppy disk and then choose to boot
from the CD-ROM Drive which contains the Linux From Scratch LiveCD:
lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.

Booting with the Smart BootManager floppy disk does indeed bring up a menu
including the CD-ROM Drive.  I can select the CD-ROM Drive and booting into
Linux proceeds a fair ways into the Linux From Scratch LiveCD boot process,
including recognition of the CD-ROM Drive.
However, when the boot process gets to a point where it needs to locate the
installation CD, it cannot proceed because it cannot locate the proper CD.
It appears that the CD-ROM Drive is located (CD-ROM Drive light flashes) but
the CD is not recognized to be the correct CD.

I include a portion of the LFS LiveCD boot process output below which does
indeed recognize the CD-ROM Drive but concludes with: "I couldn't find an
LFS LiveCD in any drive!!"

Any suggestions on what might be causing this problem would be appreciated,
or alternatively, a suggestion on how I could use the LFS LiveCD with a
machine that has an old BIOS that BIOS wants floppy-emulation mode (altering
the LiveCD, copying the LiveCD to the hard disk, an alternative to Smart
BootManager???).

Thanks,

Mark A. Friedman

--------------------

LFS LiveCD boot output shows boot begins from CD, and CD-ROM is recognized
by Linux, but later the expected CD is not recognized as being in the CD-ROM
Drive:

hdd: HITACHI CDR-8130, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

hdd: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

Searching for the CD named lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3...
ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out
hdd: DMA interrupt recovery
hdd: lost interrupt
/dev/hdd: Volume ID is
This is not the correct CD. Moving on...
I couldn't find an LFS LiveCD in any drive!!